May 28, 2008

Tear-jerkers

When I get depressed, there is nothing I enjoy more than a movie, which is guaranteed to make me cry.

You will note that the previous sentence does not say,

When I get depressed, there is nothing I enjoy more than a movie which is guaranteed to make me cry.

You see, tonight I have learned that all movies make me cry when I'm sad. Previously, I suspected it was something about the dry eyes and the blinking at the screen, and the music. Or maybe it had something to do with planes, since I'm always crying at movies on planes. Or something. But I have realized that I'm just a movie crier. And the cheesier and more clichéed the plots are, the better.

Recent successful entrants in this category include:

-Secretary
-Water
-Under the Tuscan Sun
-Sweet Home Alabama
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

And some historical go-to favorites are:

-Rudy
-Playing by Heart
-La Vita è bella

But, tonight, I finally confirmed for myself that it really doesn't matter what the movie is. Tonight, because I was bordering on very sad, I didn't think the House of Sand and Fog was a good idea, so I plopped myself in front of the tube for 2 hours and balled my eyes out to Runaway Bride.

The 5/10 star rating on IMDB is *extremely* generous. It may be one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

And yet, it did the trick. I'm ready for some yoga and bed and then tomorrow will be a lighter, more carefree day.

No comments: