Sure, turmeric tastes damn good and appears to have anti-cancer properties.
But that's not all! It also permanently dyes the bristles on your toothbrush. That's right: the yellow-headed sonicare is mine.
So, the clean the fridge out treat of the week was very pretty:
3 Color Fusion
- Dice 3/4 white onion.
- Dice 2 roma tomatoes and one red tomato-on-the-vine.
- Sautee diced onion in olive oil. Add tomatoes, 1-2 T turmeric and black pepper to taste.
- Simmer until slightly soupy so that the base is an orange juice and orange-colored onion bits but the tomatoes are still recognizeable.
- Remove tomato salsa mixture and place in a bowl to cool.
- Finely dice 4 cloves garlic.
- Place garlic in sautee pan, cover with olive oil and simmer on medium heat.
- Add 1.5 bunches washed spinach.
- Sautee until wilted but slightly firm (in hindsight, perhaps they should have been sauteed until soft).
- Remove spinach mixture to a bowl and lightly salt.
- Warm corn tortillas.
- Place warmed tortillas, the orange/red mixture bowl, and the green mixture bowl to the table at the same time.
- Construct wraps by placing a layer of green topped with a layer of orange/red.
- Try to eat gracefully.
- Admit you can't eat it gracefully and cut into bite-sized bits of colorful goodness with a knife and fork.
- Talk about improvements, like baking with cheese (for structural integrity), or adding spiced chicken strips.