Bacon Recipe: Leftover Risotto
It's no surprise that last night, after an exhausting week, when I looked in the fridge and saw that we had very little in the way of ingredients, I fell back to one of my staples: Risotto.
Predictably, E loved it. But, you could put bacon on cardboard and he'd probably love it so that's not saying much. I liked it. I found it a bit salty so I'm substituting water for some of the broth in the recipe below.
1/3 lb bacon, cut into 1 cm chunks, sauteed 'til done. Drain the bacon grease from the pan, but don't wash it.
1/2 white onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 or 3 small handfulls of rice
1 box of leftover sauteed vegetables from your favorite mexican joint's veggie fajitas
1 can chicken broth
1. sautée onion and garlic in the bacon grease pan. Add a bit of olive oil if you need it.
2. Add rice and mix with the onion, garlic, fat 'til it starts to smell toasty and looks slightly clear on the outside.
3. Add the can of chicken broth, bring to a simmer. Stir.
4. Add water as the broth cooks down 'til the rice is al dente.
5. Add the vegetables and bacon. Stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly and serve.