November 2, 2017

No Guarantees

I'm dealing with an unexpected death in the family.  Last week, I almost got hit by someone running a red light while I was crossing the street in a cross walk with a walk sign illuminated.  The riskiest thing most of us do is go on the roads (on foot, bike, or in the car), which most of us do everyday.

There are no guarantees.  And it is so sad.  But, we are alive.  So I've been trying to do my best to do a good job of doing that while I can.

Running has been tough.  I've wanted to go out and hammer, but a couple of times, I just couldn't.  I find that randomly, I am depressed, possibly even teary, and I have to stop, and walk, and let myself mourn in an easier less demanding space/pace.

So, I've been giving myself the freedom to do that for a couple weeks.

And yet, I ran some intervals at track this week in the sub 7 min/mile pace for the first time in 2ish years.  Sure, they were 200s, but still... PROGRESS!

I've got 3 weeks 'til a 10K turkey trot, then a good 10 week cycle 'til the Kaiser Half Marathon, which will be my 50th half marathon, but my first one in 20 months.  The distance seems a bit daunting since I haven't done anything longer than 8 miles in the last few months, but I'm looking forward to changing that.

4 comments:

Angela Knotts said...

{Internet hugs}. Be sure to take care of yourself.

Biting Tongue said...

Thanks, Angela. I'm trying.

Jen said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

bt said...

Thanks, Jen. I appreciate it.