August 14, 2007

Best Surprise Present in a Long Time

Tonight, after I spent about 2 hours in the office, E wheeled my chair around and pointed it towards the corner.

I twisted back to look at him.

What?

He just firmly held the chair in place with his body and with his hands gently rotated my shoulders to face the way they'd face if I wasn't like a kid squirming to face him and understand why I had to sit still in the spinny chair.

What?

OH!!!!!!

A brand new printer!!!!

Several months ago, my printer started printing stripes. A few pages, and it added screeches to start its long, angsty descent into its blackened goth phase, just prior to a successful suicide.

Needless to say, I haven't worked from home when I've needed to print in several months.

And that's fine. I enjoy working from the office. It's where the majority of people I need to interact with are located. They walk over and find me. Being in the office is generally more efficient than working from home, if you need to collaborate.

But, sometimes, you just want to bust out work without distractions. And as a lawyer, this likely means you are gonna have to print. Plus, I just like printing things: Receipts; Letters to companies: Running training plans to go on the bulletin board. I love paper and ink and letters and all that crap, actually.

So E's surprise present to me is the best of both worlds. First, and foremost, it's a loving and thoughtful present from the category of one of my favorite things in the world (instruments that allow me to communicate). Second, and almost equally cool, it's going to make my life much easier.

For example, I doubt we'll try to check into the wrong hotel next time we're in SLO because I couldn't print the confirmation. Because, basically, what it comes down to, is this:


If you are the kind of person who won't notice a brand new printer next to your desk for two hours, you *NEED* to print evidence of where you are going, what you are doing, and what you have done on a regular basis.

No comments: