Butternut, Bacon, Swiss Cheese Soup (with extra Ham!)
Mmmm... this soup is the essence of the approaching winter. Absolutely delicious.
-1 Large butternut squash, sliced in 1 inch rounds, seeds removed, peeled, and cubed
-2 yellow onions, chopped coarsely
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-6-8 cups broth of your choosing (I used half beef broth and half beef boullion)
-2 t ground cumin
-1 t ground coriander
-8 ounces bacon, chopped
-4-8 ounces leftover thanksgiving ham, chopped
-3 T sour cream
-2 T cornstarch
-grated swiss cheese
1. Sautee bacon, onions and garlic 'til onions are clear.
2. Add squash and spices, stir 'til coated.
3. Add broth, boil 15 minutes or so, until squash cubes break easily with a spoon.
4. Stir sour cream, cornstarch and 3 T warm water together.
5. Add ham and sour cream mixture, stir, remove from heat and continue to stir.
6. Serve into deep bowls, top with cheese and black pepper to taste.