January 14, 2013

2 weeks of 2013, down

Seriously?  How did that happen already?

Since the New Year started, I've been working, running, and busy with all sorts of social and family obligations.

In addition to normal life stuff, we're renovating the outside of our house, so it's a crazy rubble zone.  Turns out, in the 63 years since the house was built, no fewer than 5 different patio-like ground coverings were put in place.  You know, concrete, sandstone, brick, linoleum(!), and exposed aggregate.  All interlayered and poured on top of one another.  The layers were so thick that I'm told we will have to add a step at each door to get into the house when the pavers are done.



Also, I'm a content fiend, lately.  Reading, watching movies, and listening to audiobooks every spare minute I can find. I'm not really sure where this comes from, except that I do know that when I need to recover from life, I often hide with books.  It would appear that lately, my desire to consume content written by other folks extends to audio and visual content as well.

This weekend, we made a quick trip to gorgeous San Luis Obispo and Pismo/Shell beach.  E is a wonderful husband and drove both trips.  On the way there, I stayed awake and regaled him with the New Yorker's piece on Kid Rock (highly recommended).  But, on the way back, I just slept.  The reason behind the trip was sad -- my gran's memorial.  But she had a great life, which we celebrated.  The opportunity to see my brother and sister and niece and nephew, not to mention most of my cousins and all of my aunts and uncles was awesome.  And, of course, the run along the ocean was perfect.

Yesterday, despite going to a holiday party the night before, I had one of the best runs I've had in a while.  A nice solo 10 miler at an average pace of 9:46, followed by 0.75 miles jog/walking cool down and, later, a 2 mile walk with E2.  Total mileage for the week was 31.1, but more importantly, less than 10 of those miles were a 10 minute pace or slower, and 5 were faster than 9:09 (target half pace).  Finally.  I seem to be getting some speed back.

No comments: