August 23, 2013

I Needed That One

Today's scheduled run was a tempo run from 3-5 miles.  Since I'm starting from such a low fitness point, I made a deal with myself -- I'd warm-up, then I'd only have to do 3 miles, but I had to do them at the hardest sustainable pace I could find.

First, I did an easy 3/4 mile jog.  Then, I set my broken garmin to zero time, hit start, and ran by effort for 3 miles, pushing as hard as I reasonably thought I could maintain for 3 miles, and definitely pushing harder than I'd done in a long while on any run.

I hit the 3 mile fire hydrant (thanks gmap-pedometer) at 26:00 exactly.

And then, I walked 10 minutes to get home.

Ahhhhh... there we go -- what a perfect workout.  I'd almost forgotten what a great sense of accomplishment I can get from a run like today's.

I think it's going to be a great weekend!

No comments: