And the living's easy...
Camping was the name of the game this weekend. I'm so relaxed I don't quite know what to do with myself. I'm tan. There's a very solid v-shape on my feet to mark the flip-flops I wore everywhere except inside the tent. I swam in the lake. I needed a shower when I got home.
Some people couldn't make it due to food poisoning, getting into car/bike accidents and the usual crap that life throws your way. So, we had extra food. Obviously, I'm concerned for the ones who didn't attend and feel bad for their mishaps, but you don't want to hear about that.
What you want to hear about is this:
Corn Fritters, Southern Style
1. Cut the corn off of 4 left over white corn on the cobs from camping.
2. Mix 1 dried
3. Add a dash of salt, pepper, 1 tsp baking powder, a few TBSP of milk or cream and mix again.
4. Beat egg whites from yolks above until frothy.
5. Add egg whites to mixture in food processor and mix for 1 minute.
6. Pour mixture into bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups grated romano cheese.
7. Heat a 1 cm layer of oil (I used canola, bacon grease would probably be even better tasting, but worse for you, take your pick) in a sautee pan over high heat. Once simmering, turn down to 7/10 of the high heat temp.
8. Spoon mixture of fritters from bowl into simmering oil and cook 1-2 minutes each side. Flip once you can see brown on the edges.
9. Remove from oil when done. Place on paper towels to collect excess grease.
10. Eat immediately as a side dish, or if truth be told about E and I this evening, as a complete self-indulgent meal without any other additions.
Happy Independence Day Y'all.