February 5, 2008

California meets Alaska at our Dinner Table

So, the last time Arvay was in town, I found myself the lucky and grateful recipient of Ole 55 pale ale with roast garlic moosetard.

Apparently, the purveyors of this fine product, based in Arvay's current hometown (which I can't wait to visit) of Fairbanks, AK, were surprised, nay, shocked, to find that the federal trademark for Moosetard was theirs, for the taking.

At the point of bestowing the gifts upon us (the lucky recipients included Arvay's mom, sister, a long-time friend (KH), JayKay, and me), Arvay explained how adorable the owners of the Moosetard mark were, and how she couldn't imagine how they missed the mentally challenged moose reference, whereas I, quietly, almost silently, but not so silently that JayKay and KH didn't hear me, laughingly pointed out, better that reference, than mooseturd!

Yeah. High Brow comedy. That's why you visit this site.

So, yes, I'm aware that the super Tuesday madness is going on as I write this. To give you a sense of how important that reality is to me, I thought I'd let you know that I'm also equally aware that my AM run of 6 miles is likely to be in 46F weather. This AM, I had to use an ice scraper, at 7:30 AM. I realize this doesn't impress Arvay. But the rest of you... I LIVE IN SILICON VALLEY!

And finally, in response to the title of this post, tonight's very healthy CA meets AK dinner was delicious. I encourage you to try it.

Steamed artichokes with brown rice and mustard dipping sauce

-1 artichoke per person, washed, stem sliced off, top trimmed.
-1/4 onion per person, chopped.
-1 garlic clove, per person, minced.
-1 Tsp. olive oil, per person (per artichoke, really).
-vegetable broth (or any other broth, if laying around)
-water
-brown rice
-various mustards
-some butter

1. Pour 1-2 cups vegetable broth in a stew pot over medium heat (enough for 1/2 inch layer of liquid once artichokes are added). Add chopped onions. Place artichokes in the liquid, stem-side down. Add water 'til liquid reaches the 1 inch mark on the side of the pan.

2. Sprinkle one minced garlic clove over each artichoke. Drizzle each artichoke with approximately 1 Tsp. olive oil.

3. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.

4. Place 1 cup brown rice in rice cooker. Cover with 1 cup vegetable broth and 1 cup water. Cook in rice cooker 'til done.

5. When the 45 minutes are up, remove the artichokes from the liquid using tongs and place each one in a large soup bowl, top side down.

6. Arrange brown rice around the artichokes in each soup bowl.

7. In microwave, melt 1 Tsp. butter for each diner. Divide melted butter into bowls based on how many mustard sauces you are making (This recipe calls for at least 1 dijon and 1 moosetard!)

8. Mix equal parts butter and mustard (moosetard!) to make sauces. Pour over the rice along the outside of the artichokes.

9. To eat, peel each leaf and eat the fleshy part (which absorbed the olive oil and garlic goodness), or dip the fleshy part in a mustard-butter sauce and savor it, or pick up some rice, like it's a spoon and eat.

Regardless, Enjoy! Healthy and delicious!!!!!

No comments: