Red Lentil Salad
MMM... winter comfort food. Enjoy!
-1 package (approx 2 cups) red lentils
-1/2 red onion chopped
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-6 pieces bacon, chopped
-1 12 oz. can stewed tomatoes
-2 T dijon mustard
-2 T pickled horseradish
-1 bunch spinach, washed, stemmed, and divided into 3 beds
-finishing coarse salts (a fancy selection of various colored crystals that were a holiday gift from E's sister and her husband)
1. Place bacon, onions, and garlic in a pan. Cook on medium-high heat until bacon is starting to brown and onions and garlic are see-through.
2. Add lentils, stir.
3. Add tomatoes, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Cover with water (approx 1-2 cups), continue to stir and cook on medium heat.
5. Add sea salt to taste (approx 2 tsp for me), stir, cover and leave on medium heat stirring every 2-3 minutes until water is almost evaporated.
6. Stir in mustard and horseradish. Taste. (If lentils are too hard, add another 1/2 cup water and cover to simmer for 5 mintues.) Once lentils are al dente, Remove from heat, stir, and cover.
7. Arrange spinach as a bed, and plate the lentil salad over the spinach. Dress with fancy salts of choice.