August 28, 2012

Worst Camping Ever

So, back in early August, E and I joined some friends for two days in Yosemite to send them off on their trek down the John Muir Trail.

By the time we booked, the only accommodations that were available were in Curry Village.

No cooking, no fires, no outdoor seating. Just tightly packed tent cabins with easy noise carriage between them.

I whined quite a bit.  This was not at all what I wanted to do when I went camping. I wanted fires, and the lounging and cooking thereby.  This was *fake* camping.  

But, I got over it.  I did get a gorgeous drive through California and a relaxing weekend with views of Half Dome, a hike with E and C to Bridal Veil Falls, and I was able to join our friends on their first few miles of the JMT.  Plus I got in some great running coming down from the uphill hikes and on the valley floor.

The company, hikes, and runs were so awesome that I refrained from continuing my complaints.

But this whole hantavirus thing reminded me that I shouldn't give up whining so easily.

So, I'll just say it:  Curry Village is officially the worst camping I've ever done.  We could have stayed in a motel outside of the park and it would have been vastly superior.
 

3 comments:

Arvay said...

No cooking?? No fire, I can live with, but a cold dinner, and no tea or coffee in the morning? That's some damn comfortless accommodations!

Biting Tongue said...

@Arvay: They have restaurants in Curry Village. And, more importantly, a Peet's Coffee.

Arvay said...

Hm. All the comforts of civilization, without the actual comfort part. :)