March 26, 2006

Everyone has bad days

Yesterday, E and I went to our favorite local hole-in-the-wall burrito joint. In fariness, it's not really that much of a hole-in-the-wall, it's more like the fanciest authentic California-ized taqueria you've ever seen (they serve more burritos from the assembly line than tacos and they are okay with it).

Unfortunately, E found a hair in his burrito right around the same time that I spotted and killed a cockroach scampering across the newly tiled floor.

Then, I quietly went to report these atrocities to the manager. I didn't want to make a scene. Between the E and I over the last 3 years, I think we've averaged at least one item per week from this joint. We love it and I have no desire to upset their business or other customers. I was just a little disappointed and disgusted.

The manager was very concerned about the hair. She collected it in a napkin, and I suspect there will be hair comparisons later -- someone is getting in trouble. Pero la cucaracha? Nada importante. Like, I said, this joint is authentic.

Of course, to make it up to us, she apologized and offered us two free burritos on our next visit. We thanked her and pocketed the hand-written card. We'll be back. Just as soon at the food coma (burritos yesterday and dim sum this morning) dissipates. Burritos make up at least 35% of my finals sustinence. I suspect the bar will be the same. I'm not about to let something so silly as a forgotten hair net and an expired roach trap change my game plan.

Bad days. We all have 'em. (Here's to hoping they don't miss again...I'd hate to lose my apetite.)

No comments: