Best Risotto In a While
-1 small white onion, diced
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-1 tsp. spiced oil (a wacky Indian concoction of very hot sesame oil, infused with cumin seeds, turmeric, and minced habanero and then stored for future use -- amazing!)
-2 tsp. EVOO
-1 C sushi rice (because I am a heathen and sometimes, when pressed for ingredients in the face of California's rice production for Asia, I opt for the "short-grained, high-starch" description and don't use Arborio or Vialone Nano or Canaroli or one of the other italian varietals traditionally allocated to risotto)
-1 package 4 oz. Cypress Grove Pepper Chevre (carried by our local Safeway)
-1 can stewed diced tomatoes
-1 can + 1/3 box chicken broth
-1 cup (or so) sauvignon blanc
-1/2 meyer lemon from sister's tree
1. Heat the spiced oil and EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) in a sautée pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add garlic and onion and cook 'til translucent.
2. Add rice, stir until rice is shiny and starting to be see-through.
3. Add wine. Cook over medium heat 'til the majority of the liquid evaporates.
4. Add 1 cup broth and the tomatoes. Stir and cook.
5. When the liquid has boiled off and absorbed, add 1 cup more broth. Repeat 'til broth is all gone or until the rice is al dente.
6. Mix in the chevre and squeeze lemon juice into the pan 'til cheese is melted and mixed throughout.
7. Remove from heat, allow to set for 5 minutes.
8. Serve immediately with fresh ground black pepper. Enjoy!