August 20, 2014

How To Get Hired



“He strikes me as a serious guy.  He called me back immediately.  He knew what he was talking about.  I think you’re fine.”

This is what a friend told me about a service provider in his industry when I asked him to do some double checking.

This is what I think is missing from much of the discussion around success these days.   

It’s not sexy.   

It’s not about networking.  

It’s about doing a good job.  The old-fashioned way.  

Be serious about the job you are entrusted with.  

Be responsive.  

Know what you are talking about (and own it when you don’t or can’t due to time constraints, but do the research to follow-up in either case).

Do this enough, and you will build a solid reputation that you can leverage into whatever version of success you want for yourself.

3 comments:

Arvay said...

I am trying to be more serious-pants in my professional interactions, but I sometimes cannot help but snap up a pun opportunity. Also, I still find myself with peanut butter on my shirt from time to time, and I just don't know what to do about that. I think having a PhD buys you a lot of forgiveness for acting weird because people pass it off as "charmingly quirky". But honestly, sometimes I wish I'd magically wake up one day and find myself all dignified-like. Hasn't happened yet. :(

bt said...

@Arvay -- I think dignified is very different from serious. Serious is focused. Sometimes focused means you don't notice the mismatched socks and food stains.

Arvay said...

Thank you! But I always match my socks! Even when I am wearing boots and no-one will know! But it matters to ME, dammit!