April 10, 2007

Bacon Recipe: Spicy Glass Noodle Salad

I had a rough time leaving the pressures of work behind today. I had two separate interchanges where people commented in a way that I felt was critical of the amount of time I put in at the office. People with absolutely no power over me. Stupid. I know. If I'm doing all the work I'm being given, and no one has complained, I should trust that everything is fine and let these comments roll off my back. But no. I take them to heart. I stress that people don't think I'm doing a good job. Basically, I need to chill out.

Hence, intervals at the track with B to exhaust my body, followed by cooking to remind my sensory brain to do some work, followed by eating and conversation with E -- heavenly. A wonderful reminder of the good things in life and that I should appreciate them.

Thanks to lucky_girl, I am the proud owner of the Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School cook book. Tonight I made a modified version of one of their recipes and it was *excellent*. I highly recommend this as a very tasty, healthy dinner (okay, healthy except for the bacon).


-Glass Noodles, 1 cup (or two bundles) soaked for 10 minutes and then cut into shorter lengths (4 inches or so).
-Bacon, 1/4 lb of strips, cooked. If you burn half and throw it away, the recipe is still good.
-5 cloves garlic, minced
-1/2 white onion, diced
-3 large jalapeños, minced with seeds left in
-1/2 bunch of bok choy, chopped
-Approx 3 Tb fish sauce
-Approx 2 Tb lime juice (or 1 Tb lime and 1 Tb lemon)
-1 tomato, sliced into thirds lengthwise and as many perpendicular slices as you can get in.
-1 cup cilantro, diced

1. toss all ingredients except glass noodles in a bowl.
2. boil water, add glass noodles for 1 minute. Remove, drain, rinse in cold water.
3. toss noodles with remainder of the salad and taste to ensure you like the seasoning.

Serves two-three as a whole meal course, could probably serve up to 8 as an appetizer salad.


Enjoy!

No comments: