April 20, 2007

Whirlwind New York

Well, the missing posts never came back. I used them to tell you all about E's & my trip to New York. We were there for the huge storm. We took the subway on the worst day and it was raining inside the stations -- literally pouring water through the cracks -- such that people were using umbrellas indoors. We should have taken a picture. Oh well.

My law firm's NY office is very nice and surprisingly laid back. After all the stereotypes of NY lawyers I had heard, I almost couldn't believe how relaxed and fun and friendly the office was. I met almost the entire office and enjoyed excellent meals with almost everyone before I left.

Dim Sum in NYC Chinatown was different than Dim Sum in the bay area. We were the only non-asian people in the very large restaurant at 1 PM on a Sunday. In Northern California, Sunday Dim Sum is a tradition that all ethnicities will wait in line to experience. The concierge recommended Golden Unicorn, and we were impressed. The selection wasn't as large as the bay area joints we like (Yank Sing, Fook Yuen, Joy Luck Place, or Dynasty Seafood Restaurant) but they had the necessities of Siu Mai, sesame-rice dessert balls, and the pork pastry rolls. Plus at $17 for two to be stuffed silly, who can complain?

Other than that, it's good to be home. I am excited to plan the menu and actually cook next week.

No comments: