Throwing It Together
Last night, the impromptu recipe turned out quite well. E suggested brussel sprouts, drooling over memories of the southern-style where each bud is wrapped in bacon. Although pork chops aren't bacon, they are close and the drippings do much of the same job. So, try this recipe if you're hankering for chops. It's easy, and for all of the millions of Atkins wackos out there (like half of my school, men and women.) it's Atkins-friendly, although not on purpose. (We're just carnivores.)
PORK CHOPS OVER BRUSSEL SPROUTS
6 Brussel Sprouts per person
1 pork chop per person
1 shallot per person
1. Pre-heat oven to 400F.
2. Wash brussel sprouts, remove outer leaves, and cut off stems to leave a flat face.
3. Arrange brussel sprouts in a baking pan or casserole dish, flat face down. Drizzle with olive oil.
4. Place pork chops over brussel sprouts, covering as many as possible.
5. Dust pork chops and exposed sprouts with salt, pepper and herbs according to your taste (black pepper, garlic salt, oregano, thyme, and dried basil worked well).
6. Slice shallots as thinly as possible (think garlic from Goodfellas) and sprinkle over pork chops and brussel sprouts.
7. Drizzle pork chops and exposed brussel sprouts with olive oil.
8. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
9. Turn pork chops, re-season with salt, pepper and herbs and drizzle with more olive oil or add a pat of butter to the top of each.
10. Bake for another 20-30 minutes until done. (depends on the size of the porkchops)