April 14, 2004

Rounding 3rd Base

[phew] All school-related extra-curricular activities are complete. (Except journal competition, but that's not 'til after finals, which is a whole 'nother world to me these days). It's more of a relief than I expected. Now I can focus on all the crap necessary to get ready for the dreaded F-word. (finals, okay?)

Moot try-outs were okay. Not great, but not horrible either. I finally managed to motivate and slap together a somewhat decent understanding of my issue and the argument. I stumbled during my introduction, which is generally unacceptable, if you ask me. But, I wore my more formal suit and new shoes, so at least I looked the part. I recovered from my stumble fairly well and things seemed to be looking up for a while. But then, the judge asked me a question that I'd cleverly (or so I thought) skirted by limiting my argument.

I had to do respond with, "Your Honor, foo is germane to Respondent's very valid argument of bar. I am not making that argument today since Respondent's stronger argument is blah. However, I'd be happy to attempt to address foo if you'd like." Thankfully, the judges withdrew their question and asked me to continue with my prepared argument. Had I been more prepared, I would have been able to respond. But truth was, I wasn't prepared enough to do a good job, so I had to own up to it. Bummer.

Thankfully, the post-speaking interview went well and LWR grade explanation seemed to satisfy their concerns about my lack of a writing ability. My resume seemed to impress them a bit, which was surprising since I didn't think my tech background would matter for moot court. Apparently they have a hard time finding people for the more technical competitions. I'm not complaining, sign me up.

Oh well... It's out of my hands now. They notify people next week, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

No comments: