January 23, 2014

Going With the Flow (NYE Goal Check-in)

I've set a record this year for breaking my first New Year's Resolution the earliest in the year ever.

It's a PR!

On January 13, not even two full weeks into the year I failed to meet my goal of having finished every book club book this year by the actual meeting.

In my defense,  The Age of Innocence, just wasn't doing it for me.  I was shocked that this book was from the same author as The House of Mirth, which I adore.  I couldn't get into it.  I definitely had enough time to finish it, I was just too annoyed with the characters to do so.  So, I'm resetting and committed to finishing Wuthering Heights for next month.

On the running front, I'm slowly getting back in shape, which is nice.  I did 8X400 at track day yesterday and hit all of them at sub-8/mile pace, fairly consistently, which made me happy (1:58; 1:54; 1:56; 1:56; 1:57; 1:57; 1:56; 1:56). The effort wasn't actually that hard, which was ideal because I'm registered for a 10K this weekend so I didn't want the track workout to be my best effort for the week.  Bonus -- today, I'm not very sore.  Also, I'm doing very well on the running with joy front.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), one of the half-marathons I registered for this Spring is no longer on my schedule.  E's family wanted us to join them to go skiing in Jackson Hole that week and it was a no-brainer as to which option was more attractive. 

On the space front, I'm trying.  I have been better about balancing my time and building in empty space, but it's a work in progress.  I'm still ridiculously over-booked, but less so than historically.

For yoga, I still need to get in to try out the new studio.  I'm hopeful I may be able to make it happen today or tomorrow.  This one's tough to balance against the "leave space in my schedule" goal.  We'll see...

I pulled the winter garden and will be starting my seedlings this weekend, so that one is in good shape.  I'm a bit concerned about the drought we're experiencing in California.  I may need to scale back the garden this Summer, but I'll start my seedlings with expectations and hopes for miracle rain/snow just in case.

On the professional/financial reverse goal side I opted not to compete to get a new client today, telling them to stick with their larger law firm, since they'd negotiated a discount that eliminated my economic advantage.  This, my friends, is *major* progress for me.

3 comments:

Jen said...

We have the same blog post title (for our most recent posts) - blog twins!

"Congrats" on your PR - that's a tough resolution to keep, but glad to hear you're making progress all other fronts. Which half marathon are you skipping?

Angela Knotts said...

Ugh, yeah, the drought thing is terrifying me. Desperately hope we'll be getting some rain soon. Also glad I didn't buy any lift tickets for Tahoe!

bt said...

@Jen -- unfortunately, I won't be able to do the Oakland Half. I thought I'd registered and would have to just eat the cost but it looks like I didn't, so my laziness helped me!