October 22, 2003

Sharing and Caring

So, the nice approach is preferred. Fine. I agree. I'll share anything and everything.

Although, the everyone uses the same statutes, cases, etc. theory works pretty well unless your memo is based on an actual case that your instructor tried. In our case, no other 1Ls are looking for the stuff we need. Today, the librarian asked me why 1Ls are looking for legislative history and treatises on obscure law. Uh, that'd be because there is no case law in this area and our instructor pointed us in that direction. Interesting? Fascinating. Good topic for a graded memo in a curved class for basic legal skills? Probably not.

But, what goes around comes around. Or something like that. Right?

So, I wonder who who hid all 4 copies of the library-use-only treatises that our instructor recommended we reference. The reference librarian explained that they'd been missing for a week. They aren't even allowed to leave the library. All 4 copies? There's only 15 people in the class. And most of 'em work in groups.
If what goes around comes around, I should share things that I find with these people? It's a hard bit to swallow.

I've got too much to do to be blogging right now. But, I just wanted to let you all know exactly what I'm up against and why I don't feel like sharing everything I find. Sharing as in telling people so that they don't have to repeat my work, mind you. Not sharing in the "it's my book and no one else can use it" sense. That is just ridiculous.

No comments: